Mission Director Post under DBT-BIRAC, National Biopharma Mission – Program Management Unit at BIRAC
About the Mission :
The National Biopharma Mission is an Industry-Academia Collaborative Mission of Department of Biotechnology (DBT), Ministry of Science & Technology, Govt. of India for Accelerating Early Development for Biopharmaceuticals; to be implemented by Biotechnology Research Assistance Council (BIRAC), a Public Sector Undertaking of DBT. Approved by the Government for implementation at a total cost US$ 250 million the Mission is co-funded 50% with World Bank loan assistance. The Mission Programme is a Pan-India Programme with the main aim of making India a hub for design and development of novel, affordable and effective biopharmaceutical products and solutions. This Program aids in enhancing India’s innovation research and product development capabilities, especially by focusing on development of vaccines, biologics and medical devices for combating public health concerns. The Program aids academic researchers (through enhancing their translation capability); empower bio-entrepreneurs and SMEs (by decreased cost and risk during early stages of product development) and the industry (by elevating their innovation quotient). Anticipated long term impact would benefit the Indian population at large benefit due to availability of affordable solutions and products relevant to Indian health needs.
Post : Managing Director, Biotechnology Industry Research Assistance Council (BIRAC)
The Mission Director is a Senior Level position requiring strong leadership. The Mission Director will lead the Mission programme at the Program Management Unit (PMU) and be responsible for effective management (organization, planning, execution and evaluation) of the i3 Program. He/She will oversee the establishment and management of strategies, build efficient teams, monitor program progress and ensure financial accuracy. Working closely with global and national thought leaders and scientific experts, the Mission Director will have an opportunity to engage with multiple stakeholders (academia, industry, SMEs) and lead a team of Technical Coordinators to enable accomplishment of activities in alignment with the i3 Program strategy and vision.
The key responsibilities would include, but are not limited to :
Activity and resource planning:
• Develop and operationalize strategies to ensure efficient and timely execution of the program activities;
• Oversee and ensure the development and implementation of work plans and management systems that result in effective program execution as defined in the Program Implementation Plan;
• Manage day to day activities and take decisions as per the policy framework and guidelines laid down by the Steering Committee;
• Responsible for resource planning for all program investments and ensuring adequate budget provision for smooth implementation of the Program and various components.
Stakeholder and Team Management :
• Synchronize the functions of the various components for achieving Program goals with efficiency and economy;
• Coordinate and engage with various stakeholders, ensuring maintenance of partnership values;
• Link between Steering Committee, Program Technical Advisory Group, Scientific Advisory Groups and the various operational units to ensure efficient flow of information and facilitate inter-linkages between individual components;
• Coordinating and ensuring regular conduct of meetings of various committees as per their respective Terms of Reference;
• Represent the Mission Program to the external world.
• Coordinate with World Bank to provide regular technical and financial updates.
Financial and Legal Management :
• Cost estimating and developing the budget
• Working with Legal and Finance teams to ensure compliance of all necessary contracts and agreements;
• Ensures the accuracy, integrity, and timeliness of all financial accounting and reporting;
• Assessment of probable risks and create solutions to address them;
• Flag iss
bottlenecks raised by PMU or any stakeholder grievances and escalate to competent authority for corrective action;
• Ensure effective quality assurance and the overall integrity of the program;
The ideal candidate shall have a strong knowledge of vaccines, biotherapeutics and/or medical devices/diagnostics product development value chain particularly from early stages to clinical development and/or market licensure. He/She will have a track record of strong engagement with partners (likely both private and public-sector partners), and the ability to build and execute strategic plans as well as inspire teams engaged in a wide range of disciplines and technologies.
• Educational qualification –A PhD/equivalent in life sciences/biological sciences or allied areas;
• Duration of experience – at least 19 years & above experience, including 5 years of management experience, preferably in the Industry with understanding of product development;
• Relevant experience in development of vaccines, biotherapeutics or medical devices/diagnostics.
• Knowledge of regulatory requirements for product development
• Strong written and verbal communication skills; a persuasive and passionate communicator with excellent interpersonal and multidisciplinary project skills
• Proven negotiation and issue resolution skills required. Ability to proactively identify and act to resolve project issues, including those related to timing, resources and funding, to prevent delays in project milestones is required
• Excellence in team building skills and organizational management with the ability to coach staff, manage, and develop high-performance teams, set and achieve strategic objectives, and manage a budget
• Experience cultivating partnerships across diverse stakeholders (i.e. potentially across industry collaborations, through governments, or other NGO partnerships) as well as with academia and the start-up ecosystems
• Strong marketing and public relations with the ability to engage a wide range of stakeholders and cultures
• Past success working with a Board of Directors with the ability to cultivate relationships
• Knowledge of the national and global ecosystem including in-country needs and opportunities
• Ability to point to specific examples of having developed and operationalized strategies that have taken an organization to the next stage of growth
• Passion, idealism, integrity, positive attitude, mission-driven, and self-directed
• Unwavering commitment to quality programs and data-driven program evaluation
Age Limit : 55 years as on Date of Closing of Application
Tenure : The engagement on the position is for a period up to June-2023 co-terminus with the Project or on completion of the work. The contract shall be renewed depending upon the extension of the Project or the need for continuance of service.
Compensation : Attractive Emoluments commensurate with qualification and experience will be as per the decision of the Selection Committee for the level of appointment.
Indicative level-wise remuneration is given as below
Compensation Structure (INR)
Minimum : 1,50,000
Maximum : 4,20,000
Interested candidates may apply at the firstname.lastname@example.org in the prescribed format.
Last Date of Application is 24th August, 2020.